Job Opening: posted November 25, 2013
Applications due no later than December 9, 2013
Chief Transportation OfficerGreater Portland Transit District (METRO)
The Greater Portland Transit District (Metro) is seeking a Chief Transportation Officer who will be responsible for the leadership and management of Metro’s transit operations, maintenance and service development.
Metro is a southern Maine regional transit agency that provides transit service to the cities of Portland, Westbrook, Falmouth and South Portland. Metro currently has 70 employees, operates 30-40 buses (including 18 compressed natural gas buses as of January 2014) on nine bus routes and accommodates nearly 1.5 million boardings per year. The Chief Transportation Officer will lead Metro’s daily transit operations and maintenance activities with a strong focus on the customer, performance, reliability, safety, staff professional development and building transit ridership.
Metro is advancing several strategic initiatives including participation in a process to consolidate the region’s three (3) bus service providers; deploying ITS vehicle management, scheduling and automatic passenger counting systems; improving and expanding bus stop infrastructure; optimizing bus route performance, modernizing the bus fleet and building an effective asset management plan; and identifying needs for system improvement and expansion.
The Chief Transportation Officer reports to the General Manager and will have a leadership role in advancing these initiatives.
Successful candidates will meet the following qualifications:
- Education - Will hold at least an Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in transportation, business, administration, public administration or field related to the core functions of this position. A Bachelor’s Degree is preferred.
- Experience - Possess at least 10 years of progressively responsible experience in the fields of transit operations and/or transit fleet maintenance. Possess at least 5 years of supervisory/management level experience in transit operations and at least 5 years of supervisory experience in a working environment governed by a collective bargaining agreement.
- Core Competencies –
- Knowledge and experience with principles and methods of effective transit system operations and management; principles and methods of effective management and leadership; and methods of performance management and developing metrics to measure success in reaching system productivity, efficiency, and effectiveness goals in a transit or public sector organization.
- Familiarity with the principles and practices surrounding budget development and management, strategic management, project management, asset management, transit planning, and regulatory compliance.
- Ability to function as a partner on public transportation issues in collaboration with regional partners, elected and appointed local, state and federal officials, stakeholders, collective bargaining organizations, business leaders, employees and the public.
- Ability to professionally represent the agency in diverse settings.
- Computer Skills - Strong computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and experience with transit ITS applications including fare collection, scheduling, and vehicle management (i.e, AVL/CAD) software. Experience with fleet maintenance software is desirable.
- Other Requirements - Must be able to acquire a valid Maine driver’s license. This is a safety sensitive position subject to drug and alcohol testing.
The salary range for this position is $75,000-$105,000. In addition, Metro offers a generous benefits package consisting of health, dental, life insurance; vacation and medical leave benefits; 401a and 457 retirement programs.
Applications are due no later than December 9, 2013.